Skip to main content

A bike for the next decade



I have been riding off and on a 1988 Dave Scott Ironman bike for the past four years. Jim Schuchard loaned it to me, and I have loved the bike. It has served my purposes well and took me through the 2004 Hotter 'n Hell 100 mile bike ride and two sprint triathlons. It was a great steel bike with a good ride with excellent components for its age.

If I rode up to a group of seasoned riders, they would comment on the bike like a group of guys would a 66 Mustang. But, if I rode up to young riders or the uninitiated, I would get nervous looks for riding a "pink" bike. Add the spandex shorts, and my wife really is worried about me.

I have begun to ride more this year after a heavy year of running last year, and I finally was seduced by a group of riders to buy a new bike. (I think they were nervous about my comfort with pink, also.) I took the big plunge and got a Specialized Allez Elite Double from Richardson Bike Mart. Woody Austin fixed me up. He was excellent help. If you need a bike or anything to do with bikes, check em out.



A group of us have begun to meet up at Legacy Church on Sunday evenings at 7:00 to ride a 20-mile circuit around Legacy Park--with optional hills on Windhaven and Spring Creek. Join us next Sunday. I'll be the guy with the new bike.

My loyalties are torn again between running and riding. I'm afraid the sweetness of this ride may keep off the trails for a while...Until it gets too cold to ride and just right to run.