Skip to main content

The End of the Day

I understand once again why God prescribes fasting with prayer. Fasting subdues the body and its functions to the point that it finally slows down enough to pray. When you are jacked up on caffeine and sugar and running around to complete a list of things you "have to do," you can't pray--you barely know there is a God other than he's "out there" taking care of you. Fasting brings your body to a halt and squelches appetites that distract us from the only One who can satisfy all of our longings.

We met at the church tonight for a time of worship and continued prayer. There was no doubt who had fasted today. They were quieter, more focused, and a spirit of humility was around them. We shared a sensitivity to God's Spirit that you cannot feel when you rush into a room of theater lighting and amplified sound. I was blessed to join them as we prayed for our church, community, and those who will be the focus of our attention during the Christmas series, Enter the Prince of Peace.

I will go to bed earlier than usual, but I know the Scriptures I will read will rest in my heart as I rest in God's hands. My prayers will be more about God than about me. A the 100th Psalm will truly reflect my heart's quiet mood:

Shout for joy to the LORD, all the earth.

Worship the LORD with gladness;
come before him with joyful songs.

Know that the LORD is God.
It is he who made us, and not we ourselves;
we are his people, the sheep of his pasture.

Enter his gates with thanksgiving
and his courts with praise;
give thanks to him and praise his name.

For the LORD is good and his love endures forever;
his faithfulness continues through all generations.