Skip to main content

Thoughts On a Wednesday

A friend sent me this link to Ben Stein's film, Expelled, that will be out this spring. He makes the case that there is freedom of speech about everything in America--except when you challenge the tenets of Darwinism. Watch the trailer, and see what you think. I was impressed someone of his popularity would invest in support of intelligent design as an explanation of origins.

Last weekend I spoke at a retreat for pastors and wives at The Cove, Billy Graham's training center outside Asheville, NC. The setting was incredible, and the experience with fellow ministers was exceptional. I got to reconnect with the son of my high school pastor, who is the associational missionary in Kingsport, TN. It was fun to catch up with him and his family and to appreciate his ministry among the churches there. I tried out an essay called, "The rocks where the rabbit lives," to help us deal with our losses and hurts. It's a story of some healing I experienced while on sabbatical this summer. I'll share it at Legacy someday.


This weekend Markus Lloyd and I are headed to Nashville to lead a diversity exchange experience between the presidents, administrators, and faculty from Southern Adventist University and Oakwood University. I will share my usual message of Jesus On Leadership, but we hope to intersect it with the issues of diversity, which we remember this Martin Luther King, Jr. weekend. I looking forward to hanging with Markus and getting to know the leadership from the two universities. I'll let you know how it goes.


I am enjoying our current series at Legacy, Blogging Corinth. Last Sunday I talked about the "weakness of God" and the "foolishness of God," which is a crucified Christ. (1 Corinthians 1:18-23) The cultural bias against the tenets of Christianity today is similar as that in Corinth. Christians are perceived as weak and unintelligent, but the message of the cross remains the power and wisdom of God. If you want to hear the message, go to our message page.