Skip to main content

running, riding, and legacy

I'm in the second half of my training to run my next marathon. I have been following the program set out in Runner's World endorsed book, Run Less Run Faster. The premise is that you have three "key run workouts" per week with cross training between workouts. I like the variety, and the cross training fits into my riding routines. The running program is basically speed work, a tempo run, and a long run. The authors have prescribed speeds and distances according to your desired finish time. I have done most of my speed work on the treadmill, which makes me keep the speeds I have set for myself, and I found the tempo runs enjoyable on my usual training trails near the house. Long runs are long runs no matter how you go about them. I recommend it if you are training for a marathon. I'll let you know how I do after the run.

I continue to ride with the Legacy Cyclists as part of my need for speed and group activities-and cross training. We had 18 on Saturday's "breakfast ride" to White Rock Lake with a stop at Barbeck's for a breakfast snack and back. Summer and her boyfriend, Ryan, completed their first 50-mile breakfast ride in grand form! Friends and family riding on a Saturday morning--can't beat it. We are signed up for the Fort Worth to Frisco MS150 May 2 and 3. That will be a blast to ride (and camp out) together.


We had a great all-church garage sale Saturday! I got there at 5:15 a.m. to help set up before the bike ride, and there were already 20 people there putting items out for sale. Legacy knows how to serve. We raised over $4,400.00 for summer mission trips and camp scholarships! Way to go Ashley Breslin and team for leading us in this venture.

I'm preparing for the next BH Carroll class at Legacy, Acts and the Letters of Paul. Yes, all that in eight 2.5 hour classes! I'm digging into Murphy-O'Connor, Paul: A Critical Life for the course. It represents the latest in Pauline research but fairly assesses the biblical materials. It is not for the light-hearted reader or required for the course if you are a reader. You will like Peter Walker's In The Steps of Paul. If you want more information about the class and how to register, go here. I hope you can join us.