Skip to main content

Random thoughts on an Icy Day

Dallas-Fort Worth is snowed in today so thousands of us get a free day at home. I'm happy to get these once or twice a year, but wouldn't want to live where it is like this three or four months of the year!


This past Friday it was 75 degrees and spring-like. I returned from Marshall, TX, that day after speaking at the Christian Association of Student Leaders annual meeting hosted by East Texas Baptist University. You can read about it here. The future of Jesus' movement on those campuses is in good hands.

On the way back I stopped at Tyler State Park and ran Loops A and  B trails in my fivefingers treksport. It was a perfect day on ideal trails for minimalist running. I discovered I don't train enough on trails in my fivefingers to run the trails with ease. I'll have to go back to trail shoes for occasional runs. Rats. The hard-packed trails were great. Only gumballs, pine cones, and some loose rocks caused any blunt force pain. (Oh, and that root I stumped my big toe upon.) I ran 1.5 hours, showered (great facilities), and continued my trek home on I-20.

The next morning, I joined the guys of Legacy Church to eat an artery-clogging breakfast and hear Chad Hennings, the former Dallas Cowboy great, talk about his life. Chad is the real deal. He is honest and humble about his accomplishments and challenges guys at the heart of how they live their lives. Check out his website and his ministry to men. Buy his books. Get him to your place to speak when you can. He's right: "Attitude" and "hard work" are NOT the end all to a successful life. They'll get you many accolades, but not the most important kind of success.

I can't help but see and be concerned about the uprising in Egypt whenever I check out the news channels on television. My prayer is that Mr. Mubarak will listen to the will of the people and transition to new leadership. That region is seeking its own path now, and we who trust Jesus should be on our knees for those who are salt and light servants of our Leader there. They can be true "peacemakers" in a world of turmoil. Read what my friend, Jim Denison, has to say about this situation on his site. I like his perspective.


I hope you have a free day from the routine, and that you will make the most of it by caring for your soul and things eternal. (Eph. 5:16-17)