Skip to main content

Altra Minimalist Running Update

My Lone Peaks after 13.1 trail miles
I put my new Altra Lone Peak trail shoes to the test today at the Cross Timbers Trail Run near Lake Texhoma. The conditions were cool, windy, and muddy! The trails rise and fall along the shores of the reservoir and into the surrounding hills. It made for a crazy, challenging run that wore me out.

I own a pair of Altra Instinct for road running, and they were everything I needed one evolutionary step beyond my Vibram FiveFingers. When I got the email from Altra about the Wasatch Front Lone Peaks, I ordered them immediately. I had still been running in my old Montrail Hard Rocks because I could not find anything that gave me the protection I needed on trails with the minimalist technology. The Lone Peaks were everything I hoped they would be.

Post-run shoes
They remained stable on the rugged downhills, and gave me the comfort I needed for the 13.1 miles on the rugged trails. Even when we got into some shoe-sucking mud, they held to my feet and allowed me the freedom of movement I wanted.

They were completely submerged in a couple of creek crossings, but the mesh allowed the water to whisk away, and they dried out and kept their shape. I stumped my toes on a rock or two but the shoes absorbed the blow. I like the "trail rudder" feature. It kept the mud and water from flying up the back of my leg like conventional shoes do.

They washed out well, and I expect them to keep their shape and ruggedness after they dry.

Thanks, Altra. I'm a fan, and will continue to tout your quality shoes to those who seek a minimalist running experience.

If you want a good race report with pictures of the trail, Libby Jones, has a good one.

Amy, me, Jim