Skip to main content

Staggered Starts


Why a Staggered Start?
Aenise Montgomery, a friend and member of Legacy Church, sent me her thoughts about spiritual growth, and I wanted to share them with you. Here they are:

One Sunday Pastor Gene talked about each of us being right where we are supposed to be. I seriously doubted his statement because I had a list of things that I should have done by now, and I had not done them. But, by the end of the sermon I understood. Another Sunday he told about his faith journey and how long he had known the Lord verses someone who had never cared to know God and how they would have the same mercies extended to them! I thought, “Talk about starting in different places.” This idea lingered well after service, and I started to think about how I used to run track a long time ago. Well, that deserves two “longs!” 

I pictured all the runners prepared for different races, waiting for their lane assignment and their start time. We all wanted the inside lane on the track. (Lane 3 was my favorite, but from lane 1 you could see everybody!) I ran sprint and distance, and in a short race like the 100-meter dash, we all started even. If the race was longer your start was staggered. I shared this with my daughter, and she asked, “How does that work? Is someone running further than the other?” I answered, 

“They run the same distance. They are staggered at the start because of the curves on the track.”

That was an “aha” moment that connected me spiritually to my thoughts. Whatever “lane” God has assigned us in life, know that it’s because of the “curves” in this race that He staggers our starts. Find comfort in knowing that the curves and the bends come at different times on our journeys of life. Whether you feel like you got the inside lane or you’ve been on the outside too long—for whatever reason—God ensures we all have the same distance to the Cross! He knows what is best for us, and he gave us the equipment and strength to finish with victory.

I returned to the Bible and saw that “under the sun,” the race is not given to the swift or the battle to the strong. Bread is not given to the wise, or riches to men of understanding, nor favor to men of skill, but time and chance happen to all. (Ecclesiastes 9-11) 

If we run in our God-assigned lane, pick up our cross, run with endurance this race that is set before us while looking to Jesus the Author and Finisher of our faith….….We Win!