Skip to main content

To Camp Muir

Saturday was training day, and for a flat lander like myself who only hikes Class 1 walk ups I was happy for the refresher mountaineering class. We left Paradise parking lot about 10 and made it back to our rooms about 5. A full, but very fun day. 
The guides were informative and patient with all of our jokes and jabs at each other. Chemistry matters in group sports, and we have excellent chemistry. 
 We all now have been trained in self arrest, team arrest with and without an ice axe, running belays, rest step, crampons and more. 

The most helpful exercise to me was walking in crampons on the rock face. The is the terrain of Cathedral Gap and Disappointment Cleaver. We walked both individually and as roe team. I am ready for that challenge this time. 

Everyone completed their training and returned to base without injury and in good spirits. We all should summit, and the gives us all confidence. 

Today, Sunday, we head to Camp Muir, and head out on our summit climb around midnight tonight. I am anxious. I am before every big endeavor-like preaching-but experience, preparation and training combine to give me the confidence to summit and descend safely. 

I also trust the One who rescued me and called me to His service will be with me and strengthen me. (Hab. 3:19) The prayers of my wife, Kim, my family and friends also strengthens me. Today will be a Sunday worship experience like no other. 

I also have a personal goal to summit with a flag I had made for B H Carroll. The incentive to climb for the Institute is an honor and privilege. 


I will sign in when we return on Monday.