Skip to main content

Tres Cruces Costa Rica

 I try to find a hike or something out of the ordinary when I travel. In 2023, I was invited to speak at a conference, MICN Re-Fresh, in San Jose, Costa Rica. The conference was held at the International Baptist Church, Paul Dreessen, pastor. Paul knew I liked hiking and adventure so he lined up a hike on the Tres Cruces Trail just north of his home in San Antonio de Escazu. 

Paul’s house sits at about 4100 feet above sea level, and the highest point on the trail is about 6600 feet. The trail is only about 1.5 miles one way, so it is a pretty steep climb. Getting to the trailhead was challenging enough. When I commented about the steepness of the trail, he asked, “I thought you were in shape to hike something like this?” I replied, “I’m in shape, but not for this!” I had not done much leg work getting ready to speak at the conference. 

Once we found the trailhead, which is hard to find without someone who has been there before—that is why you always hike with a local, experienced hiker—we were joined by a couple who were also looking for the trailhead. 

The trail is rugged with smooth sections and views along the way. We were fortunate that the trail was dry. The clay base would be slick if it was wet. Vines and rocks made some of the hike hard to make our way through, but it is very doable. 

 

The first of three crosses was massive, but the view of the capital city was spectacular. 

Pastor Paul and me
The group from IBC who hiked the trail

The Second Cross

Only a pedestal remained of the second cross. The platform provided a place to rest, hydrate and take in some carbs. Another group of hikers took advantage of the setting for the same things. They were locals on a Saturday morning hike. We flat landers from Dallas are jealous of those who have trails like this in their backyards. 

The approach to the third cross opened up after another section of steep jungle trails exposing the cross in front of us and a panoramic view of the city behind us. When we arrived, a woman and her companion came running up the hill behind us. We found out she had run Mont Blanc four times, and used the trail to train for that ultra mountain run. It took her about a third of the time we took to get up to the third cross. I have learned to admire rather than compare myself with those who are not only talented but who steward their talents well. She ran off before we finished our rest. 

 

We took time to rest and enjoy the view. Instead of returning the way we came up, we traveled down the other side of the mountain. That trail was very steep and carried us through the valley and back into the town through a park. Descending is usually more difficult for me than ascending. I misstepped crossing a stream on the way down and carried several bruises and cuts the rest of the week as badges of my hike. 

 

The trail headed back to town

I recommend you hike this trail if you are ever nearby. Costa Rica has many trails with multiple levels of difficulty. This one will give you the flavor of the country’s offerings. I did write in my journal “very difficult hike-not again-but glad I did it.” But like when you finish a marathon, and you say you’ll never do that agin, you sign up for the next one within a month of your last confession. I’d do it again.