Skip to main content

Taggart and Bradley Lake Trails Hike

 Two friends and I drove to the Taggart Lake trailhead in the Grand Teton National Park about noon in mid September. The skies were clear after a rainy and winter mix the day before. Aspen trees were in their early stages of changing their colors for the fall. The lot was more crowded than expected on a Friday almost two weeks after Labor Day. One friend lived in Jackson Hole and knew the area well,  and he gave us several options once on the trail. 

We decided to take the Taggart Lake Trail counter clockwise. The trail followed a stream, which provided a pleasant soundtrack to our leisurely pace. The skies were clear with Cumulus clouds, some that would never reveal the top of The Grand Teton peak. 

We took the fork to Bradley Lake trail at the fork and could see Taggart Lake as we made our way up the trail. The elevation gain was minimal with occasional rises and drops. The trail is well worn with few exposed rocks and roots. 

Stream along Taggart Lake Trail


At the lake we took time to hydrate and take in some fuel. The lake is pristine and clear even with the heavy traffic. We were surprised when a couple of riders led their horses into the lake. I guess you can lead a horse to water and into water. Both rider and horses seemed comfortable in the mountain lake. 

Bradley Lake
Horse and riders IN Bradley Lake

Grand Teton from Bradley Lake trail

Taggart Lake via return trail

The data on the leisurely hike from my All Trails app was 6.24 miles, 778 ft elevation gain, 2:54.34 moving time. 

I highly recommend this short and easy hike. The views of the Teton range and Snake River valley are superb. 

The best part was making the trek with two good friends and sharing whatever is on our minds and hearts. The best way to know someone is along a trail over a long period of time in God's creation. Iron sharpens iron on the trails. I'm grateful to have friends with whom I can be my true self and share those things I enjoy most.

I continue to embrace the truth that my preferred time with God is in God's Creation. My body, soul and spirit are filled up by the beauty and life in the wilds. I appreciate the times when I am away from the concrete, man-made suburbs I live and travel in.